A durian, for starters, is an ugly bad smelling fruit that’s considered to be the most delicious once you get in to the middle of it. The Blender Foundation’s last three open movie projects were named after fruits too, but this time around the code-name is very fitting. What Durian hopes to achieve is not only an incredibly high quality visual, but also a means to finishing the 2.5x project which will have recoded Blender completely from scratch in less than a year’s time.
- High detail multi-res modeling (sculpting) and render (micropolygons?)
- Fire/smoke/volumetrics & explosions
- Compositing using tiles/regions, so it becomes resolution independent
- Crowd/massive simulation (fix animation system to allow duplicates)
- Improve library system for managing complex projects
- Deliver in 4k digital cinema (depending agreement with sponsor)
- Make the Blender 2.5x series fully production ready.
Applications to join the team are due in June 10th. The project starts on September 1st, and ends some time next March.
The bottom line: This time next year, Blender is going to be kicking some serious @%$.